The weather forecast for April looks to be mostly warm with sun and some clouds early in the month, some sporadic rain and then heavy rain toward the end of the month, according to Accuweather.com.
• Banner Creek, Holton — Fair to good channel catfish bite from shore, fair crappie bite near standing timber. KDWPT says recent netting efforts revealed a lot of nice white bass.
• Clinton Reservoir, Lawrence — Fair to good crappie fishing, with predominantly smaller crappie being caught, mainly on chartreuse or creme/sparkle jigs, per KDWPT reports. Limits caught around Marina. Walleye spawning on the dam, fair trout fishing at Lake Henry up to 1 pound.
• Jeffrey Energy Center, St. Marys — Very good white bass population at makeup lake, improving walleye numbers in 2018. Black bass numbers below average.
• Melvern Reservoir, Lyndon — Fair to good crappie bite using jigs around marina, per KDWPT. Many fish just under the 10-inch length limit. Walleye should be spawning on dam, but poor bite so far.
• Milford Reservoir, Junction City — Fair catfish bite, watch for recently tagged blue catfish. Crappie and white bass/wiper bite fair. High lake levels could effect angler success.
• Lake Shawnee, Topeka — Poor to fair crappie fishing over deep-water brush piles. Poor to fair trout bite on spinners and dough baits.
• Perry Reservoir, Ozawkie — Good channel cat bite along deeper mudflats using cut shad, night crawlers, shrimp, or stink bait, per KDWPT reports. White bass being caught on baits resembling shad. Blue cats being caught in river channels on north end of reservoir.
• Pomona Reservoir, Vassar — Slow bite for everything, per KDWPT. Some nice fish occasionally caught especially around the rock quarry and along dragoon. Best baits are dark jigs and/or minnows.
• Shawnee State Fishing Lake, Silver Lake — Fair largemouth bass bite on fish up to 5 pounds. Slow to fair crappie bite, mostly small fish. Fair channel catfish bite on fish up to 4 pounds. Feeders no longer running after repeated vandalism.
• Tuttle Creek, Manhattan — Good to excellent trout bite at Willow Lake on fish up to 5 pounds. Fair saugeye bite in the river pond, river below the dam and at Rocky Ford thanks to high release rates, per KDWPT reports. White bass numbers still low.
Date — March 29
Milford ... 1,144.4 ... 1,151.99 ... 25
Tuttle Creek ... 1,075 ... 1,110.76 ... 160
Perry ... 891.5 ... 901.16 ... 25
Clinton ... 875.5 ... 876.57 ... 7
Pomona ... 974 ... 977.15 ... 15
Melvern ... 1,036 ... 1,036.83 ... 20