Families will be able to camp in a tent, rent a cabin or hook up an RV to spend the night for this two-day camp.
Campers will roast marshmallows and tell stories over an open campfire, and there will be several hands-on activities with certified instructors for the kids. All meals will be provided and all ages are welcome to attend, as parents are encouraged to participate with their kids.
Among the numerous activities will be archery, fishing, canoeing and shotgun and BB gun shooting. There will be turkey calling activities, predator calling, arts and crafts, nature presentations and more.
All youths will receive a commemorative T-shirt for participating, and a drawing for prizes at the end of the event will include the chance to win a shotgun and gun case. The camp also will host a youth turkey-calling contest, with $450 in Cabela’s gift cards to be given away in two divisions — JAKES (ages 12 and under) and Xtreme JAKES (13-17).
Tickets are $25 for JAKES members and adults and $35 for non-JAKES members, with a membership included in the cost.
For more information, contact Gib Rhodes at (620) 437-2012 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other upcoming NWTF events include:
• Flint Hills Gobblers Women in the Outdoors, set for Oct. 6 at Peaceful Valley, 7351 S. 157th Street in Burlingame. For more information, contact Stephanie Kerns at email@example.com or (785) 221-4478.
• The third annual NWTF Kansas Veterans Shootout, Oct. 13 at Hillsdale Lake Shooting Range and Training Facility, 26001 W. 255th Street in Paola. Day-of registration begins at 8 a.m. Free for veterans and active military. Events include long-range rifle, 3D archery, turkey shoot and trap shoot, with prizes for top shooters in each category. Early registration recommended by contacting Adam Kucera at (913) 708-4733, Jody Brown at (913) 406-9056 or Chris Rhoades at (785) 656-0268.
• The NWTF Kansas State Conventions and Awards Banquet dates and location have been set. The event will run Jan. 12-13, 2019, at the Drury Plaza Hotel in Wichita. Seminars to include a presentation by turkey hunting legend Ray Eye. Seminar times to be announced.
• Fall season, first segment — Oct. 1-Nov. 27, 2018
• Fall season, second segment — Dec. 10, 2018-Jan. 31, 2019
• Spring season, youth/disabled — April 1-16, 2019
• Spring season, archery only — April 8-16, 2019
• Spring season, regular — April 17-May 31, 2019